Weekend Meteorologist / Multimedia Journalist, WTXL
Company: The E.W. Scripps Company
Posted on: October 18, 2020
ABC 27, the E.W. Scripps own ABC affiliate located in the
Capital City of Florida, has an exciting new opening for a
meteorologist who also has a passion for news and storytelling.
We're looking for someone to help families start their weekends off
right, from delivering the forecast to helping our viewers catch up
on what's happening in their communities. This job includes
reporting during the week with a focus on forecasting and co
anchoring our morning show on the weekends. If you're a self
starter who is looking for a new adventure, this job is for
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Prepare and deliver daily weathercasts utilizing all available
weather data and graphics computers
- Prepare and deliver urgent weather updates interrupting regular
programming as necessary
- Prepare and deliver all weathercast materials over a variety of
mediums, including, but not limited to: TV, Radio, Internet,
- Assist management in evaluations of potential new weather data
gathering and presentation computers
- Receives assignment or evaluates news leads and news tips to
develop story ideas
- Report live from event sites or mobile broadcast unit.
- Write and produce quality news stories for multiple media
- Report, write, capture visual content, edit and produce stories
for multiple platforms on deadline, such as Internet and digital
- Work cooperatively with photographer assigned to story, if one
- Gathers and verifies factual information regarding stories
through interview, observation, and research
- Perform other duties as needed and assigned
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
Education & Experience/Certifications
- Bachelors degree in broadcast journalism or related degree or
equivalent years of experience.
- Minimum of two years of experience.
- Flexible and available to work various shift, including early
mornings, late evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Computer literacy required, including weather and newsroom
- Knowledge of broadcast quality camera equipment.
- Working knowledge of weather Edius.
- Strong broadcast and AP style writing skills.
- Proficient at posting content to various websites.
- Self-motivated and able to work in a fast-paced deadline-driven
WHAT YOU'LL BRING
- Must be able to lift up to 75 pounds.
- Valid driver's license and good driving record required. In
addition, proof of insurance and liability coverage may be
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines.
- Varying schedule, due to breaking news and/or daily news
- May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for
storms or severe weather.
- Participation in an established on-call rotation.
The E.W. Scripps Company (NASDAQ: SSP) advances understanding of
the world through journalism. As the nation's fourth-largest
independent TV station owner, Scripps operates 60 television
stations in 42 markets. Scripps empowers the next generation of
news consumers with its multiplatform news network Newsy and
reaches growing audiences through broadcast networks including
Bounce and Court TV. Shaping the future of storytelling through
digital audio, Scripps owns top podcast company Stitcher and
Triton, the global leader in technology and measurement services.
Scripps runs an award-winning investigative reporting newsroom in
Washington, D.C., and is the longtime steward of the Scripps
National Spelling Bee. Founded in 1878, Scripps has held for
decades to the motto, "Give light and the people will find their
As an equal employment opportunity employer, The E.W. Scripps
Company and its affiliates do not discriminate in its employment
decisions on the basis on race, sex, sexual orientation, gender,
color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition,
disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and
military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which
would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local
law. Furthermore, the company will make reasonable accommodations
for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so
would result in an undue hardship for the company.
Keywords: The E.W. Scripps Company, Tallahassee , Weekend Meteorologist / Multimedia Journalist, WTXL, Advertising , Tallahassee, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!