Nurse Extern PRN
Company: Capital Regional Medical Center
Posted on: September 14, 2020
SCHEDULE: PRN/Per Diem
Capital Regional Medical Center is a fully-accredited healthcare
facility with more than 1,100 employees and 500 physicians. A
266-bed, acute-care hospital that offers 24/7 Emergency Services in
Leon and Gadsden Counties including a Pediatric ER and an Express
Care ER. We also offer a Bariatric Center, Behavioral Health
Center, Cancer Center, Chest Pain Center w/PCI, Comprehensive
Breast Center, Family Center, Heart & Vascular Center,
Orthopedic/Spine Center, Physical Therapy Services, Stroke Center,
Surgical Services, Wound Healing Center, Network-of-Care Affiliated
Physician Practices, and more.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Nurse Extern delivers high quality,
patient-centered care by performing a variety of delegated basic
patient care services related to common nursing functions and
activities of daily living. Under the supervision of the registered
nurse (RN), the Nurse Extern assists the nursing staff in providing
patient care in accordance with the Nurse Extern's skills/training
and the needs of the Department, and consistently assists the
patient care team with maintaining a clean, well-organized, and
safe patient care environment. The Nurse Extern is currently
enrolled and in good standing in an accredited school of nursing
and can perform higher-level procedures once competency is
- Participates in the implementation of nursing care plans by
performing direct and indirect patient care under the supervision
of the licensed nurse.
- Obtains and records initial and ongoing patient information
throughout the cycle of care, including admissions data, vital
signs, height and weight, blood pressure, oxygen saturation, blood
glucose levels, intake and output, and calorie counts.
- Documents observations, interactions, patient responses to
performed activities, and any physical or behavioral changes at
time of occurrence. Reports observations of individual patients to
the RN/Team Leader.
- Assists with mobility by regular turning and positioning,
dangling, and ambulating patients. Assists with use of walkers,
crutches, canes, and wheelchairs. Transfers patients to and from
other units, departments, or entities. Assists with discharges.
Demonstrates proper body mechanics.
- Provides or assists with non-medicated support care, including
non-sterile dressing changes, skin protection, application of heat
or ice, oxygen delivery, and venous compression devices.
- Performs non-medicated support tasks, including oral
suctioning, enema, catheterization and foley catheter removal,
drain maintenance, and basic wound care. Increases variety and
difficulty of tasks as competency is verified through nursing
- Obtains or assists in the collection of specimens for
diagnostic or waived tests. Ensures accuracy of all labels and
timely transfer of specimen.
- Retrieves medication from pharmacy, storage room, or tube
system and delivers to licensed staff member as instructed.
- Assists with patient preparation for surgery or other
- Assists patients with activities of daily living to include
eating and drinking, bathing, shaving, oral care, grooming, and
elimination. Changes bed linens as needed.
- Performs hourly rounding and responds promptly to call lights
and patient requests. Strives to anticipate patient needs and
resolve them proactively.
- Follows patient and employee safety/security policies and
protocols, including hand hygiene, use of universal precautions,use
of personal protective equipment, and adherence to isolation
- Prepares and maintains clean, hazard-free patient rooms.
Empties trash and removes soiled linens.
- Assists with patient/family/caregiver learning needs, abilities
and readiness to learn. Identifies barriers to learning, such as
language or culture. Integrates this information into the patient's
plan of care.
- Translates complex medical terminology to ensure
patients/families/caregivers understand patient medical condition,
patient status, treatment plan, medications and possible side
effects, and follow-up measures.
- Educates patients/families/caregivers on healthy diet and
exercise, disease prevention, and/or lifestyle changes that may be
needed once a patient leaves the hospital. Prepares patients and
families/caregivers for future self-management.
- Provides teaching material as needed (pamphlets, video, etc.)
to enhance understanding. Documents each teaching episode.
- Assists with post-mortem care.
- Assists in the setup, removal, and cleaning of equipment.
Identifies malfunctioning equipment and initiates repairs.
- Performs clerical work as needed, including greeting customers,
filing, answering and transferring phones, and relaying
- Prepares and maintains chart, MAR and Kardex on each patient
admitted. Adds documentation forms to chart as needed. Ensures each
form is properly labeled.
- Assists provider in obtaining medical records and diagnostic
- Promotes consistent, positive patient interactions that advance
the agenda of unparalleled patient service.
- Demonstrates caring and empathy in all interactions and
advocates for patient- and family-centered approach in all
decisions and actions.
- Demonstrates excellent communication skills, including active
listening. Ensures patients, physicians, and colleagues have a
clear understanding of all communications.
- Engages in evidence-based best practices that enhance the
patient experience, including SAFETY rounding, communication
fundamentals/AIDET, Teach-Back, Narrating Care, etc.
- Participates as an active member of the health care team and
positively promotes the rest of the team to
patients/families/caregivers and other colleagues.
- Maintains a professional appearance and demonstrates behaviors
consistent with established policies/procedures.
- Uses job knowledge and proficiency of skills to successfully
assist in orientation of new employees.
- Shares new knowledge with peers and mentors those with less
- Attends and actively participates in unit meetings.
- Seeks opportunities to impact the growth of the organization by
promoting excellence in patient experience and providing high
quality care to the patients served.
- Identifies and assists with opportunities for performance
ivement activities on the unit and with other service areas.
- Fulfills the duty and responsibility to maintain competence and
to continue personal and professional growth.
- Creates and implements a personal career development plan,
reviewed regularly by supervisor and/or preceptor.
- Maintains supplies, forms and necessary requisitions for the
- Demonstrates cost effective use and maintenance of unit
- Demonstrates fiscal responsibility by taking ownership of time
management, decreasing waste of time and/or supplies, and promoting
cost effectiveness while maintaining patient safety and quality of
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Practices and adheres to the "Code of Conduct" and "Mission and
Currently enrolled and in good standing in an accredited school of
1+ Years of Nursing School Completed Preferred
BLS-American Heart Association BLS Provider issued card
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, BEHAVIORS:
Honors our Mission and Values: Ability to build trust and act with
authenticity to cultivate a culture of integrity, inclusion, and
Exhibits Compassion: Ability to demonstrate sensitivity to the
needs and concerns of others and to treat others with the utmost
respect, dignity, courtesy, and confidentiality.
Communicates Effectively: Ability to deliver verbal and written
information in a clear, concise manner to ensure comprehension and
achieve desired results.
Prioritizes Tasks: Ability to shift attention between multiple
activities and competing demands, and to manipulate the order of
tasks by importance.
Works Well With Others: Ability to interface directly with public,
physicians, staff, patients, administration and ancillary/support
department representatives to achieve optimal outcomes and high
quality, patient-centered care.
Demonstrates Professionalism: Ability to take personal
responsibility for job action and performance, comprehend and
perform job responsibilities, and adhere to the policies and
procedure of the facility.
Embraces Learning: Ability to actively learn and follow
instructions, policies, and procedures in a timely fashion,
including the ability to learn new techniques or procedures without
incurring overwhelming stress.
Our Company's recruiters are here to help unlock the next
possibility within your career and we take your candidate
experience very seriously. During the recruitment process, no
recruiter or employee will request financial or personal
information (Social Security Number, credit card or bank
information, etc.) from you via email. The recruiters will not
email you from a public webmail client like Gmail or Yahoo Mail. If
you feel suspicious of a job posting or job-related email, let us
know by clicking here .
..... click apply for full job details
Keywords: Capital Regional Medical Center, Tallahassee , Nurse Extern PRN, Healthcare , Tallahassee, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!