Registered Nurse Med Surg Unit - JR92
Company: Northwest Florida Community Hospital
Posted on: November 24, 2022
Northwest Florida Community Hospital - The Med/Surg RN provides
professional direct and indirect patient care in an organized
manner that reflects initiative, flexibility, and responsibility
with a minimal of supervision. The RN is responsible for carrying
out the physicians' orders, including, but not limited to:
Medication administration, treatments and assessments. Accurately
determines priorities of care. Communicates with physicians about
changes in patient's status and able to respond quickly and
accurately to changes in condition or response to treatment.
Promotes positive guest relations to patients, families, visitors,
physicians, and fellow associates.
Graduate of accredited school of nursing.
1 year Med/Surg or other acute care unit.
Licenses, Certifications and/or Registrations:
Current registration to practice nursing as a Registered Nurse
within the State of Florida. Current BLS and ACLS required. PALS
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
Supervised by: Charge Nurse, Chief Nursing Officer
Supervises (Headcount): varies
Supervises (Job titles): LPN II, CNA's, interns, volunteers
Including, but not limited to: other staff members, physicians,
patients, families, ancillary departments, EMS, law enforcement
For Direct Patient Care Positions Only:
Must have the knowledge and skills necessary to provide patient
care as defined by job responsibilities and performance standards
in this job description to include Patient Safety Performance
Standards for the identified population served below:
- Pre-term/High Risk Neonate
- Neonate (newborn to 28 days)
- Pediatric (One month to 12 years)
- Young Adult (18 to 35 years)
- Adult (35 to 65 years)
- Geriatric (65 years and over)
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF COMPETENT PERFORMANCE FOR THIS POSITION
- Uses at least two patient identifiers (name, date of birth and
wristband) whenever administering medications or blood products;
taking blood samples and other specimens for clinical testing; or
providing any other treatments or procedures.
- Labels all specimens with patient identification, collector's
initials and time of collection before taking to lab
- Documents a full initial assessment in a timely manner that
will include all areas required for a problem-oriented, focused
assessment which include age-specific criteria.
- Performs reassessments based on the dynamics of the patient's
condition. Vital signs, cardiac monitoring and pain management
should reflect patient's clinical condition.
- Documents pain reassessment on all patients after
interventions/medications as required by policy.
- Patient education and care plan is created, reviewed and
revised daily and PRN on each patient assigned on unit.
- Provides direct patient care in an organized and timely manner.
Demonstrates necessary skills in providing age appropriate care and
documents per unit policy.
- Initiates and assists with emergency measures, identifies
life-threatening arrhythmias and demonstrates knowledge of ACLS
- Has a thorough understanding of all equipment on acute care
units, including but not limited to; beds, scales, IV pumps,
enteral feeding pumps, SCDs, respiratory equipment, etc.
- Can initiate and maintain a sterile field and assist the
physician as necessary with suturing, chest tube insertion, lumbar
- Maintains current knowledge of medications and their correct
administration based on age specific criteria, patient clinical
condition and safety policy.
- Ensures that nursing performs daily/nightly narcotic medication
reconciliation checks with another licensed nurse to verify correct
administration/documentation of scheduled drugs.
- Performs AccuChek testing per policy, ensures that controls are
dated with opened and expiration date; responds and documents any
actions taken in response to results.
- Labels all medications, medication containers (e.g., syringes,
medicine cups, basins) or other solutions on and off the sterile
field in procedural settings.
- Compiles a complete list of the patient's medications to assist
in reconciliation of medications across the continuum of
- Organizes and prioritizes activities for proper balance of
patient care activities/assignments within assigned shift.
- Maintains and updates patient charts per unit policy. Checks
each chart for completeness prior to releasing record to health
- Provides a safe environment for patients and family members.
Reduce the risk of patient falls by keeping patient rooms and areas
free of excess
- Complies with infection control standards, performs personal
safety precautions (PPE) appropriately. Takes professional
responsibility to wear personal protective equipment based on
potential risk exposure.
- Follows infection control standards by washing hands or using
alcohol gel between all patients and before/after performing any
- Provides appropriate discharge instructions to patients and
family members in a timely manner. Includes instructions and
referrals based on patient/family needs and physician
- Notifies physicians or caretakers of all critical test or lab
results in a timely manner and verifies understanding by having
physician repeat values back as same. Documents the communication
and information reported in patient record.
- Gives accurate and complete patient report to any nurse
assuming responsibility for any patient. Provides accurate
information and includes an opportunity for questions to be
- Ensure shift duties are completed to include stocking, narcotic
count, crash cart and ensuring that refrigerator temperatures are
checked on a daily basis.
- Assists new personnel orient to department, reviews and
completes skills assessments for new personnel, and reports
educational needs and concerns to nurse manager.
- Assists other staff members keep work area clean and tidy. Uses
break room for all meals and snacks. Removes personal items from
work area when shift complete.
- Dates all personal food/drink kept in the staff refrigerator
and disposes of such in a timely manner.
- Stays focused on hospital duties and patients while at work.
Keeps personal phone calls (hospital phone and cell phone) and
taking care of personal business at a minimum while on assigned
- Demonstrates reliability by giving advance notices of absences,
appropriate uses of computerized time system, avoids tardiness, and
completes shift without unnecessary overtime.
- Avoids clutter, picks up after self, cleans examination rooms
between patients and helps maintain general cleanliness of the
- Adheres to departmental dress code and keeps ID badge visible
at all times.
- Attends and participates meetings and in services as scheduled
for nursing and Med/Surg staff.
- Commits to outstanding guest relations and customer service;
demonstrates the customer service program in an effort to meet the
expectations of patients, visitors, and fellow associates;
maintains courteous and professional conduct.
- Demonstrates teamwork; supports, assists, and praises fellow
associates whenever possible; feels a sense of ownership and takes
pride in the hospital and the unit; looks beyond assigned tasks to
- Supports and promotes the Mission, Vision, and Values; adheres
to all hospital policies and procedures; commits to the Standards
of Conduct; maintains professional appearance
Keywords: Northwest Florida Community Hospital, Tallahassee , Registered Nurse Med Surg Unit - JR92, Healthcare , Chipley, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!