Company: The Florida Legislature
Posted on: May 20, 2023
Florida Legislative Employment Information The Florida
Office of Legislative ServicesJob TitleGeneral CounselGeneral
Summary This is the principal legal position within the Office of
Legislative Services (OLS), an administrative support organization
to the Senate, House of Representatives, and certain legislative
units. Work involves complex legal activities, including ensuring
that OLS complies with all applicable laws in the formulation and
implementation of policy; and representing legislative units in
cases before the courts. Examples of Work Performed
- Reviews purchases for all legislative entities, including
contracts and advises OLS Purchasing Office.
- Provides guidance on HR-related issues and training, as
- Serves as attorney for the Public Service Commission Nominating
- Administers informal opinions for legislative lobbyists and
advises Lobbyist Registration Office.
- Represents OLS as lead counsel in all legal proceedings in all
judicial and administrative forums.
- Plans, organizes, and directs the implementation of such legal
- Conducts technical, varied, and complex legal research work in
connection with the respective unit functions.
- Serves as liaison on legal issues between the Senate, House,
OLS and other legislative units as appropriate.
- Drafts and assists staff in preparation of proposed legislation
or special projects; keeps abreast of pending legislation in which
the unit is interested or which might affect the unit in any
manner; prepares legislative bill analyses.
- Coordinates with Senate and/or House on issues relating to
their respective issues.
- May serve as a project leader on matters not solely legal in
- Maintains communications with agency heads, or their assigned
deputies, assistants, and agency general counsel.
- Performs other related duties as required.Knowledge, Skills and
- Knowledge of legal terminology.
- Knowledge of Florida laws and legal procedures.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of supervision and/or
- Skill in reading comprehension, analysis, research, and
- Ability to provide legal counsel.
- Ability to interpret state and federal legislation, laws, and
- Ability to employ legal reasoning and to foresee possible legal
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
- Ability to take action in situations which lack clear
- Ability to take initiative on independent research
- Ability to deal tactfully and courteously with staff and the
- Ability to plan, organize, and coordinate work
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working
relationships with others.
- Ability to use independent judgment when releasing information
to the public.
- Ability to collect and analyze data.
- Ability to conduct meetings and to make presentations.
- Ability to perform legal writing and prepare various legal
documents and reports.
- Ability to research legal documents and legal references.
- Ability to prepare and present trial briefs, pleadings, and
- Ability to supervise people.
- Ability to understand and apply rules, regulations, policies,
- Ability to utilize problem-solving techniques.
- Ability to formulate policies and procedures.Minimum
Qualifications Attorney in good standing with The Florida Bar and
four years of professional experience in the practice of law to
include the trial of cases in state or federal courts, or in formal
administrative proceedings. Preference will be given to those
candidates with contracting, procurement and employment knowledge
and experience. Salary Commensurate with experience (minimum salary
is $70,128) Application DeadlineOpen until filledSubmission of
Application Qualified applicants should send a completed
legislative application and detailed resume to: - Office of
Legislative Services Human Resources Office 111 W. Madison Street,
Room 701 Tallahassee, FL 32399-1400 Applications are available
through the Florida Legislature's web site Online Sunshine and in
Room 701 of the Claude Pepper Building.Accommodation for
DisabilityIf an accommodation is needed for a disability, please
notify Human Resources at (850) 488-6803.
Keywords: The Florida Legislature, Tallahassee , General Counsel, Legal , Tallahassee, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...